Wednesday 25 January 2012

FWQAL On a Roll

Have been sewing again today so decided to post straight away.

Earlier I was chatting about how to set out the quilt and when I worked it out I need 144 blocks, 72 on point and 72 square.

So I went through the patterns for the 111 blocks provided and worked out how I would place each.  Some blocks I have done twice, either because I forgot to reverse them, they were original hand pieced ones or I just didn't like the first version.   I really don't want to use the two latter types of blocks but the reversed blocks are no problem.   So I need to find about 30 or so other blocks to add in.

I am going to do a second version of some of my fave blocks in the book but I don't really want to have heaps of repeats.   I went trawling through the meagre supply of block books I still have here at our rental and came across a Carol Doak book I got for Christmas.  It has 300 block patterns which is fantastic.  They only have numbers for each block not names which is a bit of a bummer but also allows me to make up my own names.  Ok I could go and google each picture or something similar but that wouldn't be as much fun now would it?

This first block is from the FWS book called Temperance Tree.  It made me think of my late father Jim.  When he was 12 the Temperance Union came to his school and he signed a pledge to abstain from alcohol until he was 21.  He kept his promise and was never a big or regular drinker.  When we cleared out his house we found a cask of port with a 1979 expiry date among other bottles of wine and spirits that were clearly beyond consumption.  Why he kept them is anyone's guess but he obviously didn't check out his drinks cupboard very often.  LOL  I still have his pledge certificate, its a huge elaborate thing about A3 size.  When they gave out certificates back then they sure knew how to do it right!

Temperance Tree

This second block is from Carol Doak's book 300 Paper Pieced Quilt Blocks.  Its quite an amazing book with a CD that allows you to change the size of the blocks.
Anyway I chose block 278 but have changed the name to Geese in Pud's Garden.

Who is Pud and why are there geese in her garden I hear you ask?   Ok I didn't actually hear you but I am sure you did!

Pud (also known as Sue) is married to my eldest brother (I have a few) and they have 4 acres about an hour or so from where I live.  Pud is her nickname from her side of the family.  Anyway they have all manner of animals wandering around, geese, ducks, guinea fowl, chooks, peahens, guinea pigs, birds, turtles, rabbits, sheep, cats and a massive dog that I am sure the kids could ride if he would only stay still long enough.

This is Pud/Sue and I preparing for the 2011 Melbourne Marathon 10km run. Thats me on the left btw.  We didn't actually run the course, get serious we would have been in the ambulance after the first km. We walked the whole thing at a fast pace....then a medium pace, then a "I'm just going to put my head down and get to the end if it kills me" pace.  We took so long they were taking down the marker posts as we were approaching them!  It took us 2 hours and 38 minutes but dammit we did it!  This year we are doing the 3km walk instead!  ROFL

 Pud/Sue may be my sister in law but she is also one of my best friends.  She is a very talented crafter, be it stamping, embroidery, or quilting to name a few. She is a bit nuts but so am I.   We have a lot of fun together and are both enablers for each others worst habits....not sure this is a good thing though!  LOL   When we get a chance to hang out this is usually what we look like:


So in honor of my sis in law Pud/Sue and her crazy farm and her crazy self I have made this block for my Farmers Wife Sampler.


2 comments:

  1. wowsers I have been sitting here scrolling back and back and back..your farmers wife blocks are awesome..I am using 30's fabric for mine but I'm at a stand still think I have made 20 something..but started to lose the feel so have set them aside for the moment,cheers Vickie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vickie, I am really happy with how they are all turning out. I always wanted to do a 1930's style quilt and this was perfect. I have also fallen in love with paper piecing and already have another 1930's quilt to when this one is finished. Good luck with yours. I have found that if you can break it up into preparation time of a few blocks and then just sewing them another time its not as daunting.

      Delete